- an image; figure; representation
- any of various stylized figures, as displayed on a microcomputer screen, representing available functions or resources
- Eastern Orthodox Ch. an image or picture of Jesus, Mary, a saint, etc., venerated as sacred; specif., such an image painted on a wooden panel
- any person or thing that is revered
- someone or something regarded as embodying the essential characteristics of an era, group, etc.
Origin of iconClassical Latin from Classical Greek eik?n, an image, figure (in LGr, sacred image) from Indo-European base an unverified form weik-, to resemble from source Lithuanian ?-vykti, to happen, become true