- Portrait is defined as the orientation of a page, where the longest side goes from top to bottom.
An example of portrait is when an image is taller than it is wide.
- The definition of a portrait is a drawn, painted or carved picture of the fact of something or someone.
An example of a portrait is the Mona Lisa painting.
portrait definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete a drawn, painted, or carved picture of something
- a representation of a person, esp. of the face, drawn, painted, photographed, or sculptured
- a description or dramatic portrayal of a person
Origin: Middle French past participle of portraire: see portray
portrait definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A likeness of a person, especially one showing the face, that is created by a painter or photographer, for example.
- A verbal picture or description, especially of a person.
Origin: French, from Old French, image, from past participle of portraire, to portray; see portray.