- a horseshoe or quoit thrown so that it encircles the peg
- such a throw
- a person or thing that rings a bell, chime, etc.
- a horse, player, etc. fraudulently entered, or substituted for another, in a competition
- any substitute
- a person or thing very closely resembling anothernow usually dead ringer
A horseshoe or quoit thrown so that it encircles the peg.
- One that rings, especially one that sounds a bell or chime.
- Slang A contestant entered dishonestly into a competition.
- Slang One who bears a striking resemblance to another: a ringer for his father.
From ring (“to sound a bell") +"Ž -er.
From ring (“to surround").
- (horse racing) A horse fraudently entered in a race using the name of another horse.
- (sports) A person highly proficient at a skill or sport who is brought in, often fraudulently, to supplement a team.
- A person, animal, or entity which resembles another so closely as to be taken for the other; now usually in the phrase dead ringer.
Probably from ring the changes.