- The definition of blasphemy is saying something concerning God that is very disrespectful.
An example of blasphemy is when John Lennon said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus.
blasphemy definition by Webster's New World
- profane or contemptuous speech, writing, or action concerning God or anything held as divine
- any remark or action held to be irreverent or disrespectful
Origin: Middle English blasfemie ; from Old French blasphemie ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin blasphemia ; from Classical Greek blasphēmia: see blaspheme
blasphemy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. blas·phe·mies
- a. A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.b. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
- An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.
Origin: Middle English blasfemie, from Late Latin blasphēmia, from Greek blasphēmiā, from blasphēmein, to blaspheme; see blaspheme.
blasphemy - Legal Definition