- The definition of a violation is a breach of a law or of a code of behavior.
- When you drive your car faster than the speed limit, this is an example of a violation of the law.
- When you read someone's diary this is an example of a violation of privacy.
violation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
a violating or being violated; specif.,
- infringement or breach, as of a law, rule, right, etc.
- sexual assault; rape
- desecration of something sacred, as a church
- interruption; disturbance
Origin: Middle English violacion ; from Classical Latin violatio
violation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The act or an instance of violating or the condition of being violated. See Synonyms at breach.
violation - Legal Definition
- A breaking of the law; an infraction; a transgression.
- The act of breaching the law; contravening a duty or right.
- An offense against the public welfare.