- The definition of a malediction is a curse or words or speech intended to bring about destruction or evil.
When a fortune teller gets mad at you and puts a curse on you, this is an example of a malediction.
- a calling down of evil on someone; curse
- evil talk about someone; slander
Origin: Middle English malediccioun from Old French malediction from Ecclesiastical Late Latin maledictio from L, abuse, reviling: see mal- and amp; diction
- maledictory adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The calling down of a curse.b. A curse.
- malˌe·dicˈto·ry adjective