- The definition of a jinx is something that gives you bad luck.
An example of a jinx is a charm that someone says is cursed.
- To jinx is defined as to bring someone bad luck.
An example of jinx is to tell someone that they won’t do well at a competition.
jinx definition by Webster's New World
- a person or thing believed to bring bad luck
- a spell or period of bad luck
Origin: earlier jynx ; from Classical Latin iynx ; from Classical Greek the wryneck (bird used in black magic)
jinx definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A person or thing that is believed to bring bad luck.
- A condition or period of bad luck that appears to have been caused by a specific person or thing.
Origin: Possibly from jynx, wryneck (from its use in witchcraft), from Latin iynx, from Greek iunx, perhaps from iuzein, to call, cry.