- The definition of boon is someone or something that is happy or friendly.
An example of boon is someone easy to get along with.
- A boon is defined as a welcomed blessing.
An example of boon is the sky clearing up just before sunset on a rainy day.
- Archaic a request or the favor requested
- welcome benefit; blessing
Origin: Middle English bone ; from Old Norse bon, a petition, prayer ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bha-, to speak (see fame); meaning probably influenced, influence by boon
- Archaic kind, generous, pleasant, etc.
- merry; convivial: now only in , a close friend
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French bon ; from Classical Latin bonus, good
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A benefit bestowed, especially one bestowed in response to a request.
- A timely blessing or benefit: A brisk breeze is a boon to sailors.
Origin: Middle English bone, from Old Norse bōn, prayer; see bhā-2 in Indo-European roots.
- Convivial; jolly: a boon companion to all.
- Archaic Favorable.
Origin: Middle English bon, good, from Old French, from Latin bonus; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots.