- The definition of a windfall is something blown by wind, or unexpected good fortune.
- An example of a windfall is a tree that was uprooted in a hurricane.
- An example of a windfall is winning the lottery.
windfall definition by Webster's New World
- something blown down by the wind, as fruit from a tree
- any unexpected acquisition, gain, or stroke of good luck
windfall definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A sudden, unexpected piece of good fortune or personal gain.
- Something, such as a ripened fruit, that has been blown down by the wind.
windfall - Business Definition
windfall - Cultural Definition
An unexpected profit from a business or other source. The term connotes gaining huge profits without working for them — for example, when oil companies profit from a temporary scarcity of oil.