- The definition of a disadvantage is an unfavorable situation or something that puts someone in an unfavorable situation.
- An example of a disadvantage is a baseball player not being able to play.
- An example of a disadvantage is a baseball team's star player having to sit out because of an injury.
disadvantage definition by Webster's New World
- an unfavorable situation or circumstance; drawback; handicap
- loss or injury, as to reputation or credit; detriment
Origin: Middle English disavauntage ; from Old French desavantage: see dis- and amp; advantage
disadvantage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An unfavorable condition or circumstance.
- Something that places one in an unfavorable condition or circumstance.
- Damage or loss, especially to reputation or finances; detriment.
Origin: Middle English disavauntage, from Old French desavantage : des-, dis- + avantage, advantage; see advantage.
disadvantage - Phrases/Idioms
at a disadvantage