Deprivation is defined as the state of having something withheld from the enjoyment or possession of someone.
An example of deprivation is a prisoner of war being denied enough food to live.
- a depriving or being deprived
- a loss
Origin of deprivationMiddle English deprivacioun
- a. The act or an instance of depriving; loss.b. The condition of being deprived; privation.
- A removal of rank or office.
(countable and uncountable, plural deprivations)
- (countable) The act of depriving, dispossessing, or bereaving; the act of deposing or divesting of some dignity.
- (uncountable) The state of being deprived; privation; loss; want; bereavement.
- (countable) The taking away from a clergyman of his benefice, or other spiritual promotion or dignity.
- (followed by “of”) lack
- He was suffering from deprivation of sleep.
- Distinguish from depravation.