- The definition of hardship is adversity, or something difficult or unpleasant that you must endure or overcome.
An example of hardship is when you are too poor to afford proper food or shelter and you must try to endure the hard times and deprivation.
hardship definition by Webster's New World
- hard circumstances of life
- a thing hard to bear; specific cause of discomfort or suffering, as poverty, pain, etc.
Origin: Middle English heardschipe: see hard and amp; -ship
hardship definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Extreme privation; suffering.
- A cause of privation or suffering. See Synonyms at difficulty.
hardship - Legal Definition