- The definition of characteristic is a distinguishing feature of a person or thing.
An example of characteristic is the high levels of intelligence of a valedictorian.
- Characteristic is defined as a quality or trait.
An example of characteristic is intelligence.
characteristic definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Classical Greek charaktēristikos: see character
- a distinguishing trait, feature, or quality; peculiarity
- the whole number, or integral part, of a logarithm, as distinguished from the mantissa: 4 is the characteristic of the logarithm 4.7193
- characteristically adverb
characteristic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A feature that helps to identify, tell apart, or describe recognizably; a distinguishing mark or trait.
- Mathematics The integral part of a logarithm as distinguished from the mantissa: The characteristic of the logarithm 6.3214 is 6.
- Mathematics The least number of times the multiplicative identity in a ring needs to be added to itself to reach the additive identity, or, if the additive identity is never reached, zero. The integers have a characteristic of zero; the integers modulus 12 have a characteristic of 12.
- charˌac·ter·isˈti·cal·ly adverb
characteristic - Computer Definition
In logarithms and floating point, the number that indicates where the decimal point is placed.
characteristic - Medical Definition
- A distinguishing feature or attribute; character.
- A structure or function determined by a gene or genes; trait.
- characteristic adjective
characteristic - Science Definition