- Peculiar is defined as something that is different and unusual.
An example of peculiar is a state fair sideshow with strange people.
- The definition of peculiar is something important or of special interest.
An example of peculiar is the specific picture that gets pointed out on a tour.
A man and girl acting peculiar.
- of only one person, thing, group, country, etc.; distinctive; exclusive
- particular; unique; special: a matter of peculiar interest
- out of the ordinary; queer; odd; strange
Origin of peculiarMiddle English peculier ; from Classical Latin peculiaris ; from peculium: see peculate
- something belonging to one only, as a privilege
- Brit. a church or parish under a jurisdiction other than that of the diocese in which it is located
- Not ordinary or usual; odd or strange: noticed a peculiar odor in the room. See Synonyms at strange.
- Belonging distinctively or primarily to one person, group, or kind; special or unique: a species peculiar to the high desert.
- A privilege or property that is exclusively one's own.
- Chiefly British A church or parish under the jurisdiction of a diocese different from that in which it lies.
Origin of peculiarMiddle English peculier, personal, from Latin pecūliāris, from pecūlium, private property; see peku- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more peculiar, superlative most peculiar)
- Out of the ordinary; odd; curious; unusual.
- The sky had a peculiar appearance before the storm.
- It would be rather peculiar to see a kangaroo hopping down a city street.
- Common or usual for a certain place or circumstance; specific or particular.
- Kangaroos are peculiar to Australia.
- (dated) One's own; belonging solely or especially to an individual; not shared or possessed by others.
- (dated) Particular; individual; special; appropriate.