- Peculiar is defined as something that is different and unusual.
An example of peculiar is a state fair sideshow with strange people.
- The definition of peculiar is something important or of special interest.
An example of peculiar is the specific picture that gets pointed out on a tour.
A man and girl acting peculiar.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- of only one person, thing, group, country, etc.; distinctive; exclusive
- particular; unique; special: a matter of peculiar interest
- out of the ordinary; queer; odd; strange
Origin: Middle English peculier from Classical Latin peculiaris from peculium: see peculate
- something belonging to one only, as a privilege
- Brit. a church or parish under a jurisdiction other than that of the diocese in which it is located
- peculiarly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Unusual or eccentric; odd.
- Distinct from all others. See Synonyms at strange.
- Belonging distinctively or primarily to one person, group, or kind; special or unique: rights peculiar to the rich; a species peculiar to this area.
- A privilege or property that is exclusively one's own.
- Chiefly British A church or parish under the jurisdiction of a diocese different from that in which it lies.
Origin: Middle English peculier, personal, from Latin pecūliāris, from pecūlium, private property; see peku- in Indo-European roots.
- pe·cuˈliar·ly adverb