- Eccentricity is defined as the state or quality of having an odd or unusual manner.
Dressing in a way that is considered to be strange and out-of-the-ordinary is an example of eccentricity.
- the state, quality, or amount of being eccentric
- deviation from what is ordinary or customary, as in conduct or manner; oddity; unconventionality
- an eccentric trait or habit; peculiarity
- Math. the ratio of the distances from any point of a conic section to the focus and to the directrix: the value of this ratio determines the type of conic section (zero = circle, between zero and one = ellipse, one = parabola, more than one = hyperbola)
- Mech. the distance between the center of a shaft and the center of its eccentric wheel: sometimes, erroneously, called a throw
Origin of eccentricitysee eccentric
- a. The quality of being eccentric.b. Deviation from the normal, expected, or established.
- An example or instance of eccentric behavior.
- Physics The distance between the center of an eccentric and its axis.
- Mathematics The ratio of the distance of any point on a conic section from a focus to its distance from the corresponding directrix. This ratio is constant for any particular conic section.
- The quality of being eccentric; any eccentric behaviour.
- (mathematics) The ratio, constant for any particular conic section, of the distance of a point from the focus to its distance from the directrix.
- For an ellipse, the eccentricity is the ratio of the distance from the center to a focus divided by the length of the semi-major axis.