- The definition of an aberration is something that is abnormal or unexpected such as a strange action or mental state.
An example of a mental aberration is schizophrenia.
- a departure from what is right, true, correct, etc.
- a deviation from the normal or the typical
- mental derangement or lapse
- Astron. a small, periodic apparent change in the observed position of a celestial object, caused by the constantly changing position of the earth and the finite speed of the object's light
- the failure of light rays from one point to converge at a single focus
- a fault in a lens or mirror causing such failure
Origin: Classical Latin abberatio ; from aberrare: see aberrant
- aberrational adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A deviation from the proper or expected course. See Synonyms at deviation.
- A departure from the normal or typical: events that were aberrations from the norm.
- Psychology A disorder or abnormal alteration in one's mental state.
- a. A defect of focus, such as blurring in an image.b. An imperfect image caused by a physical defect in an optical element, as in a lens.
- The apparent displacement of the position of a celestial body in the direction of motion of an observer on Earth, caused by the motion of Earth and the finite velocity of light.
- Genetics A deviation in the normal structure or number of chromosomes in an organism.
Origin: Latin aberrātiō, aberrātiōn-, diversion, from aberrātus, past participle of aberrāre, to go astray : ab-, away from; see ab-1 + errāre, to stray; see ers- in Indo-European roots.
top: spherical aberration
bottom: chromatic aberrationA. red B. yellow
aberration - Medical Definition
- A departure from the normal or typical.
- A psychological disorder or abnormal alteration in one's mental state.
- A defect of focus, such as blurring in an image.
- An imperfect image caused by a physical defect in an optical element, as in a lens.
- A deviation in the normal genetic structure or number of chromosomes in an organism.
aberration - Science Definition
- A deviation in the normal structure or number of chromosomes in an organism.
- A defect in a lens or mirror that prevents light rays from being focused at a single point and results in a distorted or blurred image. ♦ Aberration that results in distortion of color is called chromatic aberration. ♦ Aberration that is caused by imperfections in the surface or shape of a spherical mirror or lens is called spherical aberration. See also astigmatism, coma.2
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.