- Grotesque is defined as repulsively ugly or shocking.
- A very ugly, scary mask is an example of agrotesque mask.
- When someone tells a really ridiculous lie, this is an example of agrotesque lie.
- The definition of grotesque is very ugly, distorted or shocking.
A genre of art that focuses on morbid images is an example of the grotesque.
grotesque definition by Webster's New World
- in or of a style of painting, sculpture, etc. in which forms of persons and animals are intermingled as with foliage, flowers, or fruits in a fantastic or bizarre design
- characterized by distortions or striking incongruities in appearance, shape, or manner; fantastic; bizarre
- ludicrously eccentric or strange; ridiculous; absurd
Origin: French ; from Italian grottesca (pittura), origin, originally , (picture) in a cave ; from grotta, grotto: from resemblance to designs found in Roman caves
- a grotesque painting, sculpture, design, etc.
- a grotesque thing or quality
grotesque definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Characterized by ludicrous or incongruous distortion, as of appearance or manner.
- Outlandish or bizarre, as in character or appearance. See Synonyms at fantastic.
- Of, relating to, or being the grotesque style in art or a work executed in this style.
- One that is grotesque.
- a. A style of painting, sculpture, and ornamentation in which natural forms and monstrous figures are intertwined in bizarre or fanciful combinations.b. A work of art executed in this style.
Origin: From French, a fanciful style of decorative art, from Italian grottesca, from feminine of grottesco, of a grotto, from grotta, grotto; see grotto.
- gro·tesqueˈly adverb
- gro·tesqueˈness noun