- The definition of incongruous is something that doesn't fit in or that is jarring in relation to its surroundings.
An example of incongruous is a bright purple couch in an all white room.
- lacking harmony or agreement; incompatible
- having inconsistent or inharmonious parts, elements, etc.
- not corresponding to what is right, proper, or reasonable; unsuitable; inappropriate
Origin of incongruousClassical Latin incongruus
- Lacking in harmony; incompatible: a joke that was incongruous with polite conversation.
- Not in agreement, as with principles; inconsistent: a plan incongruous with reason.
- Not in keeping with what is correct, proper, or logical; inappropriate: incongruous behavior.
Origin of incongruousFrom Latin incongruus : in-, not; see in–1 + congruus, congruous; see congruous.
(comparative more incongruous, superlative most incongruous)