- When you get along with someone and rarely fight, that is an example of a situation where you have a harmonious relationship.
- When a piece of music is pleasant and all the parts go together well, this is an example of harmonious music.
The definition of harmonious is things that go well together, or people and things that get along well.
- having parts combined in a proportionate, orderly, or pleasing arrangement; congruous
- having similar or conforming feelings, ideas, interests, etc.; in accord
- having musical tones combined to give a pleasing effect; consonant
Origin of harmoniousFrench harmonieux from Old French harmonie: see harmony
- Exhibiting accord in feeling or action.
- Having component elements pleasingly or appropriately combined: a harmonious blend of architectural styles.
- Characterized by harmony of sound.
(comparative more harmonious, superlative most harmonious)
From Middle French harmonieux