The sound that occurs when you play two cords on the piano that don't sound good together is an example of something that would be described as dissonant.
- characterized by or constituting a dissonance; discordant
- opposing in opinion, temperament, etc.; incompatible; incongruous
- Harsh and inharmonious in sound; discordant.
- Being at variance; disagreeing.
- Music Constituting or producing a dissonance.
Origin of dissonantMiddle English dissonaunt from Old French dissonant from Latin dissonāns dissonant- present participle of dissonāre to be dissonant dis- apart ; see dis- . sonāre to sound ; see swen- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more dissonant, superlative most dissonant)
- Of or pertaining to dissonance.
- The music was filled with dissonant chords.
From Middle French dissonant