- The definition of dissonant is things that don't go well together or things that are not harmonious.
The sound that occurs when you play two cords on the piano that don't sound good together is an example of something that would be described as dissonant.
- characterized by or constituting a dissonance; discordant
- opposing in opinion, temperament, etc.; incompatible; incongruous
- dissonantly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Harsh and inharmonious in sound; discordant.
- Being at variance; disagreeing.
- Music Constituting or producing a dissonance.
Origin: Middle English dissonaunt, from Old French dissonant, from Latin dissonāns, dissonant-, present participle of dissonāre, to be dissonant : dis-, apart; see dis- + sonāre, to sound; see swen- in Indo-European roots.
- disˈso·nant·ly adverb