- The definition of inconsistent is something that is not uniform or not the same throughout.
When one scientist does an experiment and gets one result and the other does it and gets a contrary result, this is an example of a situation where the results are inconsistent.
- not in agreement, harmony, or accord; incompatible: acts inconsistent with belief
- not uniform; self-contradictory: inconsistent testimony
- not always holding to the same principles or practice; changeable
- Displaying or marked by a lack of consistency, especially:a. Not regular or predictable; erratic: inconsistent behavior.b. Lacking in correct logical relation; contradictory: inconsistent statements.c. Not in agreement or harmony; incompatible: an intersection inconsistent with the road map.
- Mathematics Not solvable for the unknowns by the same set of values. Used of two or more equations or inequalities.
(comparative more inconsistent, superlative most inconsistent)
- not consistent
inconsistent - Legal Definition