- An example of a repugnant odor is the smell of rotting milk.
- An example of repugnant is someone doing something that is inconsistent with what they have said they were going to do.
- An example of repugnant is a person who opposes a specific political position.
The definition of repugnant is something that is extremely offensive, contradictory or antagonistic.
- contradictory; inconsistent: actions repugnant to his words
- offering resistance; opposed; antagonistic: repugnant forces
- causing repugnance; distasteful; offensive; disagreeable: a repugnant odor
Origin of repugnantMiddle English from Middle French from Classical Latin repugnans: see repugnance
- Arousing disgust or aversion; offensive or repulsive: morally repugnant behavior.
- Logic Contradictory; inconsistent.
Origin of repugnantMiddle English antagonistic from Old French from Latin repugnāns repugnant- present participle of repugnāre to fight against ; see repugn .
(comparative more repugnant, superlative most repugnant)
- Nouns to which "repugnant" is often applied: act, nature, behavior, practice, character, thing, crime.