The definition of inappropriate is someone or something that is not within the bounds of what is considered appropriate or socially acceptable.
Wearing a cheerful and revealing outfit to a somber funeral is an example of wearing something inappropriate.
Unsuitable or improper.
(comparative more inappropriate, superlative most inappropriate)
in- + appropriate
- He was talking and acting in an inappropriate manner.
- Carmen, when a man touches and talks to you in an inappropriate matter, you set him straight.
- To attempt a history of the development of the various topics in this article is inappropriate, and we refer the reader to the separate articles.
- He was destitute of military skill, and wrecked army after army by attempting hard tasks at inappropriate times and by mistaken methods.
- "I suppose this means it's inappropriate to fill Fred in on what happened at the Lucky Pup," Cynthia mused as they climbed the steps to Bird Song.