- The definition of unhappy is someone who is sad.
An example of unhappy is when a couple fights all the time and is considering getting divorced; an unhappy marriage.
An unhappy woman.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective un·hap·pi·er, un·hap·pi·est
- Not happy or joyful; sad or sorrowful: unhappy over his friend's departure.
- Not satisfied; displeased or discontented: unhappy with her raise.
- Not attended by or bringing good fortune; unlucky.
- Not suitable; inappropriate: an unhappy choice of words.
- un·hapˈpi·ly adverb
- un·hapˈpi·ness noun