- When you are feeling sad and sorrowful, this is an example of a time when you are mournful.
- An expression of sadness and sorrow is an example of a mournful expression.
The definition of mournful is feeling or expressing sorrow, grief or depression.
- of or characterized by mourning; feeling or expressing grief or sorrow
- causing sorrow or depression; melancholy
- having a sound, appearance, etc. that suggests sadness
- Feeling or expressing sorrow or grief; sorrowful.
- Causing or suggesting sadness or melancholy: the mournful sound of a train whistle.
(comparative mournfuller or more mournful, superlative mournfullest or most mournful)
mourn +"Ž -ful