- The definition of plangent is a loud or sad sound.
An example of something plangent is the sound of a string quartet at a funeral.
plangent definition by Webster's New World
- beating with a loud or deep sound, as breaking waves, etc.
- loud or resonant, and, often, mournful-sounding
Origin: Classical Latin plangens, present participle of plangere, to beat: see plaint
plangent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Loud and resounding: plangent bells.
- Expressing or suggesting sadness; plaintive: “From a doorway came the plangent sounds of a guitar” (Malcolm Lowry).
Origin: Latin plangēns, plangent-, present participle of plangere, to strike, lament; see plāk-2 in Indo-European roots.
- planˈgen·cy noun
- planˈgent·ly adverb