- of or characterized by mourning; feeling or expressing grief or sorrow
- causing sorrow or depression; melancholy
- having a sound, appearance, etc. that suggests sadness
- When you are feeling sad and sorrowful, this is an example of a time when you are mournful.
- An expression of sadness and sorrow is an example of a mournful expression.
The definition of mournful is feeling or expressing sorrow, grief or depression.
- Feeling or expressing sorrow or grief; sorrowful.
- Causing or suggesting sadness or melancholy: the mournful sound of a train whistle.
(comparative mournfuller or more mournful, superlative mournfullest or most mournful)
mourn +"Ž -ful
- At the mournful note in her voice, he hugged her tightly.
- The wind blew the entire night, creaking and groaning about the old building in a mournful dirge.
- The mournful retreat began on Oct.
- Marriage had only brought a mournful series of infant funerals.
- On the journey he was deeply affected by the mournful fate of Marie-Antoinette, and resolved to do what he could to alleviate their sufferings.