An example of tone is off-key.
An example of tone is to add white eyeshadow to black eyeshadow so that it is not so harsh.
An example of tone is to lift weights every day to build muscle.
An example of tone is sarcasm.
Took an angry tone with the reporters.
A room with an elegant tone.
Exercises that tone up the body.
A tone of contempt.
The friendly tone of her letter.
Rubber that has lost its tone.
Her rousing speech gave an upbeat tone to the rest of the evening.
Children often read with a tone.
This picture has tone.
- To give a lower or less intense tone to.
- To become softened.
- To make (something written or said) less harsh or more moderate.
- To harmonize with.
- To give a higher or more intense tone to.
- To become strengthened or heightened.
Origin of tone
- Middle English ton from Old French from Latin tonus from Greek tonos string, a stretching ten- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition