- The definition of grievous is something very serious, grave or severe.
A serious mistake that could cost someone his life is an example of a mistake that would be described as grievous.
- causing grief
- showing or characterized by grief: a grievous cry
- causing suffering; hard to bear; severe: grievous pain
- very serious; deplorable: a grievous fault
- atrocious; heinous: a grievous crime
Origin: Middle English grevous from Old French from grever: see grieve
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Causing grief, pain, or anguish: a grievous loss.
- Serious or dire; grave: a grievous crime.
Origin: Anglo-Norman grevous, from grever, to harm, aggrieve, from Latin gravāre, to burden; see grieve.
- grievˈous·ly adverb
- grievˈous·ness noun