- The definition of grieve is to feel pain or sadness as a result of a loss, or to cause pain or stress to someone.
An example of greive is what you do and how you feel after a loved one dies.
grieve definition by Webster's New World
- to cause to feel grief; afflict with deep, acute sorrow or distress
- to challenge (some action, decision, etc. of management) by filing and pursuing a grievance
- Archaic to harm; injure
Origin: Middle English greven ; from Old French grever ; from Classical Latin gravare, to burden, grieve ; from gravis, heavy, grievous: see grave
- to feel deep, acute sorrow or distress; mourn
- to grieve some action, decision, etc. of management
grieve definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb grieved grieved, griev·ing, grieves verb, transitive
- To cause to be sorrowful; distress: It grieves me to see you in such pain.
- To mourn or sorrow for: We grieved the death of our pastor.
- Usage Problem To file an official or formal grievance on account of (an actual or perceived injustice).
- Archaic To hurt or harm.
Origin: Middle English greven, from Old French grever, to harm, from Latin gravāre, to burden, from gravis, heavy; see gwerə-1 in Indo-European roots.
- grievˈer noun
- grievˈing·ly adverb