- To yearn is defined as to want something strongly.
An example of yearn is to really want to be with someone you can’t ever be with.
- to be filled with longing or desire
- to feel tenderness or sympathy
Origin: Middle English yernen from Old English gyrnan from georn, eager, akin to German gern, gladly: see hortatory
- yearner noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intransitive verb yearned, yearn·ing, yearns
- To have a strong, often melancholy desire.
- To feel deep pity, sympathy, or tenderness: yearned over the child's fate.
Origin: Middle English yernen, from Old English geornan, giernan; see gher-2 in Indo-European roots.
- yearnˈer noun