- To yearn is defined as to want something strongly.
An example of yearn is to really want to be with someone you can’t ever be with.
yearn definition by Webster's New World
- to be filled with longing or desire
- to feel tenderness or sympathy
Origin: Middle English yernen ; from Old English gyrnan ; from georn, eager, akin to German gern, gladly: see hortatory
- yearner noun
yearn definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb yearned, yearn·ing, yearns
- To have a strong, often melancholy desire.
- To feel deep pity, sympathy, or tenderness: yearned over the child's fate.
Origin: Middle English yernen, from Old English geornan, giernan; see gher-2 in Indo-European roots.
- yearnˈer noun