- Desire is defined as physically longing for something.
An example of desire is the feeling before a goodnight kiss.
- The definition of desire is to wish for or crave something.
An example of desire is to really want a piece of chocolate cake.
Two people looking at each other with desire.
desire definition by Webster's New World
- to wish or long for; crave; covet
- to ask for; request
- to want sexually
Origin: Middle English desiren ; from Old French desirer ; from Classical Latin desiderare, origin, originally , probably , to await from the stars ; from de-, from plush sidus, star: see sidereal
- a strong wish or craving
- sexual appetite; lust
- an asking for something; request
- a thing or person desired
desire definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb de·sired, de·sir·ing, de·sires
- To wish or long for; want.
- To express a wish for; request.
- A wish or longing.
- A request or petition.
- The object of longing: My greatest desire is to go back home.
- Sexual appetite; passion.
Origin: Middle English desiren, from Old French desirer, from Latin dēsīderāre : dē-, de- + sīdus, sīder-, star.
- de·sirˈer noun