Origin of longingsee long
The definition of longing is a strong desire.
An example of longing is a child day dreaming everyday about going to Disneyland.
A strong persistent yearning or desire, especially one that cannot be fulfilled.
- Present participle of long.
- It was strange sitting beside him and longing for him to come back.
- A tiny voice whispered a warning about the longing that consumed her.
- Apparently he saw the longing there, because he slowly leaned down and kissed her lips.
- He lowered his head to her neck, breathing in her scent with a mix of longing and anger.
- But the most characteristic passage of the epopee is the mysterious disappearance of Shah Kaikhosrau, who suddenly, when at the height of earthly fame and splendour, renounces the world in utter disgust, and, carried away by his fervent longing for an abode of everlasting tranquillity, vanishes for ever from the midst of his companions.