- Appetite is defined as a passion for something.
An example of something for which one might have an appetite is money.
- The definition of an appetite is a yearning for to fulfill a need for something such as food, drink, or other cravings.
An example of someone who has a hearty appetite is a person who eats a big lunch.
- a desire to satisfy some craving of the body; specif., a desire for food, or, sometimes, a desire for some specific food
- any strong desire or craving: an appetite for knowledge
Origin of appetiteOld French apetit from Classical Latin appetitus, eager desire for from appetere, to strive after from ad-, to + petere, to desire: see feather
- An instinctive physical desire, especially one for food or drink.
- A strong wish or urge: an appetite for learning.
- A collective demand: America's appetite for fossil fuels.
Origin of appetiteMiddle English apetit from Old French from Latin appetītus strong desire from past participle of appetere to strive after ad- ad- petere to seek ; see pet- in Indo-European roots.