- The definition of an appetite is a yearning for to fulfill a need for something such as food, drink, or other cravings.
An example of someone who has a hearty appetite is a person who eats a big lunch.
- Appetite is defined as a passion for something.
An example of something for which one might have an appetite is money.
appetite definition by Webster's New World
- a desire to satisfy some craving of the body; specif., a desire for food, or, sometimes, a desire for some specific food
- any strong desire or craving: an appetite for knowledge
Origin: Old French apetit ; from Classical Latin appetitus, eager desire for ; from appetere, to strive after ; from ad-, to plush petere, desire: see feather
- appetitive adjective
appetite definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An instinctive physical desire, especially one for food or drink.
- A strong wish or urge: an appetite for learning.
Origin: Middle English apetit, from Old French, from Latin appetītus, strong desire, from past participle of appetere, to strive after : ad-, ad- + petere, to seek; see pet- in Indo-European roots.
- apˈpe·tiˌtive adjective
appetite - Medical Definition