nostalgia[nä stal′jə, nô-]
A feeling of nostalgia may lead to looking at old photos.
- Nostalgia is a desire to return to an earlier time in life.
An example of nostalgia is the craving to be back in college again.
- a longing to go back to one's home, home town, or homeland; homesickness
- a longing for something far away or long ago or for former happy circumstances
Origin of nostalgiaModL: coined (1688) as a medical term by J. Hofer, Swiss scholar, to translated, translation German heimweh, homesickness ; from Classical Greek nostos, a return (akin to neomai, I return: see Nestor) + -algia
- A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
- The condition of being homesick; homesickness.
Origin of nostalgiaGreek nostos, a return home; see nes-1 in Indo-European roots + –algia.
From Late Latin nostalgia, from Ancient Greek * Î½Î¿ÏƒÏ„Î±Î»Î³Î¯Î± (nostalgia), from Î½ÏŒÏƒÏ„Î¿Ï‚ (nostos, “a return home") + á¼„Î»Î³Î¿Ï‚ (algos, “pain, suffering"). Compare Italian nostalgia and French nostalgie.