Origin of longingsee long
The definition of longing is a strong desire.
An example of longing is a child day dreaming everyday about going to Disneyland.
A strong persistent yearning or desire, especially one that cannot be fulfilled.
- Present participle of long.
- It was strange sitting beside him and longing for him to come back.
- A tiny voice whispered a warning about the longing that consumed her.
- He lowered his head to her neck, breathing in her scent with a mix of longing and anger.
- Apparently he saw the longing there, because he slowly leaned down and kissed her lips.
- Sometimes, she heard longing in his voice, the same yearning she experience for him.