The definition of a boy is a young male or, when used offensively, a male employee could be referred to as a boy.noun
An example of a boy is a male child.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a male child from birth to the age of physical maturity; lad; youth
- a man regarded as immature or callow
- any man; fellow: familiar term
- a male domestic worker or servant: a patronizing term applied esp. by Caucasians to nonwhites
- a bellboy, messenger boy, etc.
- Informal a son: Mrs. Dill's oldest boy
Origin: ME boie, servant, commoner, knave, boy < ? OFr embuié, one fettered < embuier, to chain < em-, en- + L boiae, fetters, orig., leather collar for the neck < bos, ox, cow
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A male child.
- A son: his youngest boy.
- Often Offensive A man, especially a young man.
- Informal A man socializing in a group of men: a night out with the boys.
- Offensive A male servant or employee.
Origin: Middle English boi, possibly from Old French embuié, servant, past participle of embuier, to fetter.
- boyˈhoodˌ noun