- The definition of girl is a female under aged 18, or a persons' child or girlfriend, or a group of woman friends.
- A young 15-year-old female is an example of someone who would be considered a girl.
- Your female child is an example of someone you would consider your girl.
- A group of women having fun might be called going out with the girls.
A cute little girl.
girl definition by Webster's New World
- a female child
- a young, unmarried woman
- a female servant or other employee: sometimes considered a patronizing term
- Informal a woman of any age, married or single: sometimes considered a patronizing term
- Informal a sweetheart of a boy or man
- Informal a daughter
Origin: Middle English girle, gurle, youngster of either sex ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old English an unverified form gyrele, probably akin to Low German göre, German dialect, dialectal gör, girl ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ĝher-, small from source Old Irish gair, short
girl definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A female child.
- A daughter: our youngest girl.
- Often Offensive A woman, especially a young woman.
- Informal a. A woman socializing in a group of women: a night out with the girls.b. Used as a familiar form of address to express support of or camaraderie with a woman.
- Informal A female sweetheart: cadets escorting their girls to the ball.
- Offensive A female servant or employee.
Origin: Middle English girle, child, girl.
- girlˈhoodˌ noun