- a sweetheart who is a girl or woman
- a girl who is someone's friend
- a woman friend of a woman
A man with his girlfriend.
- If you are a woman, another woman who you go to the movies with regularly and who you see for coffee and chats is an example of your girlfriend.
- If you are a man, a woman who you have been dating exclusively for three months is an example of your girlfriend.
The definition of a girlfriend is the female friend with whom someone has a regular or exclusive romantic or sexual relationship.
- A female companion or friend with whom one has a sexual or romantic relationship.
- A female friend.
- The term is used to describe any girl or woman in a romantic relationship with another person.
- An adult woman in such a non-marital relationship is sometimes described instead as a significant other or partner, especially if the two partners are living together. Since girlfriend and partner mean different things to different people, the distinctions between the terms are subjective, and which term is used in a relationship will ultimately be determined by personal preference.
- The use of girlfriend for a female non-romantic friend of another female is limited in geographic distribution and sometimes preferred by older generations of speakers.
- Now his girlfriend had caught them together.
- "That his girlfriend?" he asked.
- "Maybe his girlfriend just arrived," Fred answered.
- I've got a contact for you but protect this like your girlfriend at a drunken frat party.
- If your girlfriend was going to dump you, wouldn't you rather it happen at a beach house?