- Now Rare a younger son or brother
- Historical a younger son who became a gentleman volunteer in the army to offset his lack of patrimony
- a student in training at an armed forces academy
- a student at a military school
- any trainee, as a practice teacher or a junior business associate
- Slang a pimp
Origin of cadetFr, younger son from Gascon capdet, captain, chief from Provençal capdel from Late Latin capitellum, diminutive of Classical Latin caput, head
- a. A student at a military school or in a military program training to be an officer.b. A student training to be a police officer.
- a. A younger son or brother.b. A youngest son.
Origin of cadetFrench from dialectal capdet captain from Late Latin capitellum diminutive of Latin caput capit- head ; see kaput- in Indo-European roots.