- Now Rare a younger son or brother
- Historical a younger son who became a gentleman volunteer in the army to offset his lack of patrimony
- a student in training at an armed forces academy
- a student at a military school
- ☆ any trainee, as a practice teacher or a junior business associate
- ☆ Slang a pimp
Origin of cadetFrench younger son ; from Gascon capdet, captain, chief ; from ProvenÃ§al capdel ; from Late Latin capitellum, diminutive of Classical Latin caput, head
- a. A student at a military school or in a military program training to be an officer.b. A student training to be a police officer.
- a. A younger son or brother.b. A youngest son.
Origin of cadetFrench, from dialectal capdet, captain, from Late Latin capitellum, diminutive of Latin caput, capit-, head; see kaput- in Indo-European roots.