- an elaborate, often improvised musical passage played unaccompanied by the solo instrument in a concerto, usually near the end of the first or the final movement
- any brilliant flourish in an aria or solo passage
Origin of cadenzaIt: see cadence
- An elaborate, ornamental melodic flourish interpolated into an aria or other vocal piece.
- An extended virtuosic section for the soloist usually near the end of a movement of a concerto.
Origin of cadenzaItalian from Old Italian cadence ; see cadence .
(plural cadenzas or cadenze)
- (music) A part of a piece of music, such as a concerto, that is very decorative and is played by a single musician.