- An example of a student is a second grader.
- An example of a student is someone going to a university.
- An example of a student is someone learning to cook in their kitchen.
The definition of a student is someone who is learning at a school, or in any teaching environment.
- a person who studies, or investigates: a student of human behavior
- a person who is enrolled for study at a school, college, etc.
Origin of studentMiddle English studiante, studente ; from Old French and amp; L: Old French estudiant ; from Classical Latin studens, present participle of studere, to study
- One who is enrolled or attends classes at a school, college, or university.
- a. One who studies something: a student of contemporary dance.b. An attentive observer: a student of world affairs.
Origin of studentMiddle English, alteration (influenced by Latin stud&emacron;re, to study) of studient, studiant, from Old French estudiant, one who studies, from present participle of estudier, to study, from Medieval Latin studi&amacron;re, from Latin studium, study; see study.
- A person who studies a particular academic subject.
- A student of philosophy.
- (figuratively) A person seriously devoted to some subject, whether academic or not.
- He is a student of life.
- A person enrolled at a university.
- The students were out raising funds for rag week.
- (chiefly North America) A schoolchild.
From Latin studens, present participle of studere (“to study").