- An example of a student is a second grader.
- An example of a student is someone going to a university.
- An example of a student is someone learning to cook in their kitchen.
The definition of a student is someone who is learning at a school, or in any teaching environment.
- a person who studies, or investigates: a student of human behavior
- a person who is enrolled for study at a school, college, etc.
Origin of studentMiddle English studiante, studente ; from Old French and amp; L: Old French estudiant ; from Classical Latin studens, present participle of studere, to study
- One who is enrolled or attends classes at a school, college, or university.
- a. One who studies something: a student of contemporary dance.b. An attentive observer: a student of world affairs.
Origin of studentMiddle English, alteration (influenced by Latin studēre, to study) of studient, studiant, from Old French estudiant, one who studies, from present participle of estudier, to study, from Medieval Latin studiāre, from Latin studium, study; see study.
- A person who studies a particular academic subject.
- A student of philosophy.
- (figuratively) A person seriously devoted to some subject, whether academic or not.
- He is a student of life.
- A person enrolled at a university.
- The students were out raising funds for rag week.
- (chiefly North America) A schoolchild.
From Latin studens, present participle of studere (“to study").