- The definition of a student is someone who is learning at a school, or in any teaching environment.
- An example of a student is a second grader.
- An example of a student is someone going to a university.
- An example of a student is someone learning to cook in their kitchen.
student definition by Webster's New World
- a person who studies, or investigates: a student of human behavior
- a person who is enrolled for study at a school, college, etc.
Origin: Middle English studiante, studente ; from Old French and amp; L: Old French estudiant ; from Classical Latin studens, present participle of studere, to study
student definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One who is enrolled or attends classes at a school, college, or university.
- a. One who studies something: a student of contemporary dance.b. An attentive observer: a student of world affairs.
Origin: Middle English, alteration (influenced by Latin studēre, to study) of studient, studiant, from Old French estudiant, one who studies, from present participle of estudier, to study, from Medieval Latin studiāre, from Latin studium, study; see study.