The definition of a professor is a teacher at a college or a university, or an instructor in a specialized field.
A man who teaches English at Harvard University is an example of an English professor.
- a person who professes something; esp., one who openly declares his or her sentiments, religious beliefs, etc.
- a college or university teacher of the highest academic rank; full professor
- assistant professor & associate professor
- loosely any college, university, or, occas., secondary-school teacher
- any person claiming or assumed to be especially skilled or experienced in some art, sport, etc.: a popular or humorous usage
Origin of professorMiddle English professoure from L, teacher from professus: see profess
- a. A college or university teacher who ranks above an associate professor.b. A teacher or instructor.
- One who professes.
Origin of professorMiddle English professour from Old French professeur from Latin professor from professus past participle of profitērī to profess ; see profess .