The definition of a professor is a teacher at a college or a university, or an instructor in a specialized field.
A man who teaches English at Harvard University is an example of an English professor.
- a person who professes something; esp., one who openly declares his or her sentiments, religious beliefs, etc.
- a college or university teacher of the highest academic rank; full professor
- assistant professor & associate professor
- loosely any college, university, or, occas., secondary-school teacher
- ⌂ any person claiming or assumed to be especially skilled or experienced in some art, sport, etc.: a popular or humorous usage
Origin of professorMiddle English professoure ; from L, teacher ; from professus: see profess
- a. A college or university teacher who ranks above an associate professor.b. A teacher or instructor.
- One who professes.
Origin of professorMiddle English professour, from Old French professeur, from Latin professor, from professus, past participle of profit&emacron;r&imacron;, to profess; see profess.