- a person who professes something; esp., one who openly declares his or her sentiments, religious beliefs, etc.
- a college or university teacher of the highest academic rank; full professor
- assistant professor & associate professor
- loosely any college, university, or, occas., secondary-school teacher
- any person claiming or assumed to be especially skilled or experienced in some art, sport, etc.: a popular or humorous usage
Origin of professorMiddle English professoure from L, teacher from professus: see profess