The definition of a pundit is someone who is an expert or authority in a specific field.
An example of someone who would be considered a pundit is a political scholar who comments on politics on TV.
- alt. sp. of pandit
- a person who has or professes to have great learning; actual or self-professed authority
Origin of punditHindi pa??it from Sanskrit pa??ita, a learned person, origin, originally , learned
- A source of opinion; a critic: a political pundit.
- A learned person.
- Hinduism Variant of pandit
Origin of punditHindi pa&nlowdot;&dlowdot;it learned man from Sanskrit pa&nlowdot;&dlowdot;itah learned, scholar perhaps of Dravidian origin
- A learned person in India; someone with knowledge of Sanskrit, philosophy, religion and law; a Hindu scholar. [from 17th c.]
- (historical) A native surveyor in British India, trained to carry out clandestine surveillance beyond British borders.
- A self-professed expert in a particular field, especially as called upon to provide comment or opinion in the media; a commentator, a critic. [from 19th c.]