- The definition of a scholar is a learned or well-educated person, especially one who excels in a particular field or subject.
A person who gets a masters degree is an example of a scholar.
A young scholar.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a learned person
- a specialist in a particular branch of learning, esp. in the humanities: a Mark Twain scholar
- a student given scholarship aid
- any student or pupil
Origin: Middle English scoler from Old English scolere or Old French escoler, both from Midieval Latin from Late Latin scholaris, relating to a school from Classical Latin schola, school
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A learned person.b. A specialist in a given branch of knowledge: a classical scholar.
- One who attends school or studies with a teacher; a student.
- A student who holds or has held a particular scholarship.
Origin: Middle English scoler, from Old French escoler and from Old English scolere, both from Medieval Latin scholāris, from Late Latin, of a school, from Latin scola, schola, school; see School 1.