- The definition of a guru is a spiritual leader, or is a widely respected expert.
- A Hindu spiritual leader is an example of a guru.
- A respected yoga teacher is an example of a yoga guru.
guru definition by Webster's New World
- in Hinduism, one's personal spiritual advisor or teacher
- any leader highly regarded by a group of followers: sometimes used derisively
Origin of guruHindi guru ; from Sanskrit guruḥ, venerable, origin, originally heavy ; from Indo-European an unverified form gweru- ; from base an unverified form gwer- from source grave
guru definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- In Hinduism and Tibetan Buddhism, a personal spiritual teacher.
- a. Any of the ten successive spiritual teachers who developed Sikhism between the 16th and 18th centuries.b. Guru See Guru Granth Sahib.
- a. A trusted counselor and adviser; a mentor.b. A popular or influential leader or advocate, as of a movement or idea: “In a culture that worships slimness, he was the Guru of Lean” (Erica Abeel).
Origin of guruHindi guru, from Sanskrit guru&hlowdot;, from guru-, heavy; see gwer&schwa;-1 in Indo-European roots.
guru definition by Wiktionary
From Hindi गुरू (guru) / Urdu گرو (guru), from Sanskrit गुरु (gurú, “venerable, respectable”), originally "heavy" and in this sense cognate to English grieve. (A traditional etymology based on the Advaya Taraka Upanishad (line 16) describes the syllables gu as 'darkness' and ru as 'destroyer', thus meaning "one who destroys/dispels darkness")
guru - Computer Definition
- In Hinduism or Sikhism, a religious teacher or spiritual guide.
- In the context of technology, an intellectual leader, teacher, or guide who is highly knowledgeable or skilled and who can express himself in an intelligible manner.
An advisor or teacher. The term, which comes from Hinduism, refers to a spiritual teacher. "Gu" means darkness, and "ru" means light; thus a guru turns ignorance into enlightenment. In the west, the term has been interpreted quite often as simply an expert in a field whether that person helps you learn or understand anything or not.