- The definition of bookworm is someone who spends a lot of time reading or studying.
The girl who would rather stay inside and read than go out and play is an example of a bookworm.
A young bookworm.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- any of a number of insects or insect larvae that harm books by feeding on the binding, paste, etc.
- a person who spends much time reading or studying
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One who spends much time reading or studying.
- Any of various insects, especially booklice and silverfish, that infest books and feed on the paste in the bindings.