- The definition of avid is someone greedy, with a craving for or with a strong interest in something.
- A person who wants to win at any cost is an example of avid.
- Someone who talks only about sports is an avid sports fan.
This would be an avid sports fan.
avid definition by Webster's New World
- having an intense craving; greedy: avid for power
- eager and enthusiastic: an avid reader
Origin: Classical Latin avidus ; from avere, to desire
avid definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having an ardent desire or unbounded craving; greedy: avid for adventure.
- Marked by keen interest and enthusiasm: an avid sports fan.
Origin: Latin avidus, from avēre, to desire.
- avˈid·ly adverb