- The definition of passionate is having or showing strong feelings, strong emotions or a strong sexual desire.
An example of passionate is someone who loves their career.
- having or showing strong feelings; full of passion
- easily angered; hot-tempered
- resulting from, expressing, or tending to arouse strong feeling; ardent; intense; impassioned: a passionate speech
- readily aroused to sexual activity; sensual
- strong; vehement: said of an emotion
Origin of passionateMiddle English passionat ; from Medieval Latin passionatus
- Capable of, having, or dominated by powerful emotions: a family of passionate personalities.
- Wrathful by temperament; choleric.
- Marked by strong sexual desire; amorous or lustful.
- Showing or expressing strong emotion; ardent: a passionate speech against injustice.
- Arising from or marked by passion: a teacher who is passionate about her subject.
(comparative more passionate, superlative most passionate)
- A passionate individual.
(third-person singular simple present passionates, present participle passionating, simple past and past participle passionated)
From Medieval Latin passionatus, past participle of passionare (“to be affected with passion"); see passion.