- The definition of passionate is having or showing strong feelings, strong emotions or a strong sexual desire.
An example of passionate is someone who loves their career.
passionate definition by Webster's New World
- having or showing strong feelings; full of passion
- easily angered; hot-tempered
- resulting from, expressing, or tending to arouse strong feeling; ardent; intense; impassioned: a passionate speech
- readily aroused to sexual activity; sensual
- strong; vehement: said of an emotion
Origin: Middle English passionat ; from Midieval Latin passionatus
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- passionately adverb
passionate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Capable of, having, or dominated by powerful emotions: a family of passionate personalities.
- Wrathful by temperament; choleric.
- Marked by strong sexual desire; amorous or lustful.
- Showing or expressing strong emotion; ardent: a passionate speech against injustice.
- Arising from or marked by passion: a teacher who is passionate about her subject.
- pasˈsion·ate·ly adverb
- pasˈsion·ate·ness noun